Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October's Greatness

October used to be a good month in our house-it signified fall and the coming holidays.  Now October is a great month and holds more importance to us.  It's not really because it's October, but because October is Down syndrome Awareness Month.  This Sat. we do the Buddy Walk here in our area, which is a chance for local people to gather and celebrate Down syndrome.  

When Keegan was first born I can tell you that I really didn't think there was too much to celebrate.  I loved him because he was mine, but I felt so many negatives-fear, uncertainty, the death of the baby I thought we were having, and a burden on my heart.

Fast forward to today-he is one of the biggest reasons I have made or had to make so many needed changes in my life.  I always thought life needed to be perfect and that I could control most of my life.  I expected perfection from not only myself, but those around me.  What a miserable life!  I made so many mistakes in thinking I was ever in control or that I could ever really achieve perfection.  I also wasn't free to be the person I was intended to be in living a life in which I expected unattainable goals.  

Keegan was a prayer that I didn't even know I was praying.  I have had to slow down and appreciate life.  I have had to learn to give up control.  I have had to open my heart to others' lives and be able to be compassionate knowing that we are all going through tough times in one way or another.  He has brought so much joy to our lives.  It sounds like a cliche, but I can assure you it's only the truth.  I am glad that I wasn't in control on that day in 2002, when this little man was born.  God had better things in mind for not only me, but family, friends, and the world.

Here's a great video about Down syndrome going around on YouTube/Facebook:


 Here's a picture from 4 years ago, when Keegan was just 6 years old.



Here's a current picture:



No comments:

Post a Comment