Saturday, February 19, 2011

Girl's Night

Every once in awhile my daughter, Grace, and I take time for a girl's day or night.  Last night was our girl's night.  We had such a nice time.  It started out with a salad at home for dinner.  We both love fruits and veggies and this is a great dinner in our opinion.  The boys, however, went out for Mexican food.  After finishing dinner, we went to see "Gnomeo and Juliet."  It was a cute movie and we had fun eating our candy and sharing a frozen cherry drink.  Grace still likes to sit on my lap and spent half of the movie watching it from that position. 

I love these times with my daughter.  She is growing up so fast and in the hustle and bustle of life, I feel like there are times when she may get forgotten.  Tim and I do our best to always be as attentive to her as we are with Keegan, but anyone with a child with special needs knows that at times, he/she requires a bit more time.  On top of that, Grace is very independent and self-sufficient, which means we don't have to do as much for her b/c she does it for herself.  I am proud of these character traits b/c they will make her an adult that can take care of herself.

All of that being said, b/c Grace has such a vivacious personality, she doesn't get lost in the shuffle as much as a shy child would.  She draws attention to herself b/c she is witty and funny and so charming.  I really adore her.  God couldn't have provided a more perfect daughter for us.  She keeps us laughing and is a bright spot in our lives.  I know she is going to grow up and be an amazing woman someday.  In the meantime, I am spending as much time with her as I can b/c I know these times will become few and far between as she gets older. 

I have one last thought I want to share that left me in awe last night.  As I was driving, Grace shared that nobody on Earth is perfect and that only God is perfect.  She went on to share how Jesus, God's son, was the only perfect person to ever walk on Earth.  She talked about how Jesus never disobeyed or hurt people.  She pointed out that we can never be perfect.  I think it's so wonderful that my 5 year old grasps these ideas and values already.  I am thankful we can send her to a Christian school that has helped her grow spiritually.  I am also thankful that we, as a family, have shared these values with each other.  I know this will be the most important aspect in her development into womanhood and I am glad at the tender age of 5, she already knows Jesus.  What a blessing!  And, what a great reminder from Grace, that NONE of us are perfect, so it's OK to let go of the guilt we feel on those days we feel "not quite good enough." 

1 comment:

  1. I love it when children bring us back to where our faith should be. She is an amazing little girl with a beautiful faith already. Girl's nights are great, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete